Here you will find the diaries of my sewing adventures. No diary will ever be posted until the project is complete, so you’ll never be left hanging.
Another doll-sized Phantom costume checked off my list! This time, it’s one of my favorites: the mint green and pink Romantic-style ballet outfits worn during the mock-opera “Il Muto.” The first half of the diary focuses on the design and perfecting the pattern with mockups.
The doll-sized adventure continues! The second half of this diary shows the construction and embellishment of the “Il Muto” ballet costume.
When I found a gorgeous faux-suede, I decided to make my first hobo purse.
When challenged to decorate a bra, I decided to go with a steampunk theme. The result was quite fun!
One of the vital pieces of furniture you need in your sewing room is a pressing station. It might be as simple as an ironing board . . . or as deluxe as a custom pressing cabinet.
This was a fun and easy tote bag! I changed a few details, just to make it more challenging. . . .
When I found a purple animal-print lace, I knew my sister would love it. So I made her a ruffled pillow. This diary follows the designing and construction of this pillow.
I wanted a new throw pillow for our bed, so I made one that’s crazy-quilted! This diary follows the design process, construction, and embellishment of the pillow.
This diary follows the designing, construction, and embellishing of my second crazy-quilted throw pillow.
The 2014 costume competition at Your Wardrobe Unlock’d had two themes, one of which was: “Early WWI: 1914-1915.” So, I made a set of undergarments (petticoat, drawers, and corset cover) from 1915—in miniature, for a 16″ fashion doll. This diary covers the entire process, from mockup to finished garments!
I found something amazing at a California thrift store. . . . But it needed a little work to make it really shine.
I bought an “easy” pattern to make a cover for my sewing machine, but it turned out far from simple to make.
I needed a new cover for my new sewing machine. This time, I decided to make something special, using my newly acquired crazy-quilting skills.
I couldn’t find a new case for my Kindle Fire HD, so I decided to sew a custom slipcover to fit over my old case. My idea worked better than I’d hoped!
My second attempt at making a wrist pincushion. This one, I love! It features a rectangular pincushion and a wrist strap that fastens with Velcro.
A ballgown with an empire waist and beaded straps, made for Gene Marshall, a 15.5″ fashion doll.
One of a series of doll-sized costumes inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber’s famous musical. This is the red and green ballet costume seen in the first act of the show.
A quick venture into the world of modern lingerie. This tricot half-slip was very easy to make.
The long-awaited 18th century gown, made of a green floral print with a green striped petticoat.
This Natural Form era ballgown was made for the Double Period Project Competition hosted by Your Wardrobe Unlock’d. The gown took a full year from start to finish.
In order to create an eighteenth century gown, I first needed the undergarments. I began with a pair of taffeta stays.
I continue my quest for undergarments from the late 1700s. Here, I make a set of petticoats.
The sewing diary for a late-Victorian corset. My very first corset, it’s made of silk and was designed to be the foundation for my bustle dresses.
Follow along as I make two 19th century combinations, one for daytime and one for evening wear.
This is the story of how I made a replica of Christine’s “Wishing” dress from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Broadway musical: The Phantom of the Opera. It follows my efforts in finding appropriate fabric, editing and making my own patterns, and creating a gown that embodies the spirit of the original costume.
This continues the story of how I made a replica of Christine’s “Wishing” dress from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Broadway musical: The Phantom of the Opera. See the finished costume and find out what happened when I wore the gown to see the show. . . .